- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Alibaba Group said on Thursday that Patrick Liu, president of its digital entertainment unit, has been detained, Reuters reported.
The wire service stated he was detained due to actions during his time as head of Tencent Holdings’ video division.
“We understand that Patrick Liu with our digital entertainment unit has been detained by the authorities,” Reuters quoted a spokesman as saying. “This issue is related to his time at Tencent and has nothing to do with Alibaba.”
As vp of Alibaba and president of Alibaba’s digital and entertainment business, the executive has been spearheading Alibaba’s efforts to gain a foothold in the entertainment business.
He was a key player in Alibaba executive chairman and founder Jack Ma‘s team when he traveled to Hollywood last year on a preemptive shopping trip. He has been very involved in trying to shake things up at Alibaba Pictures and was a key player in setting up Yulebao, Alibaba’s crowdfunding unit.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day