- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
News Corp.’s MySpace is collaborating with best-selling Brazilian author Paulo Coelho to make a user-generated movie of his book “The Witch of Portobello.”
Users can submit videos focusing on one of the book’s characters to MySpaceTV or Coelho’s MySpace page, www.myspace.com/paulocoelho. Up to 15 winning submissions will be molded into a video “mash-up” called “The Experimental Witch.” Users also can submit songs for a soundtrack to the film, with up to 16 selected for the project.
Coelho said that his agent has been approached by “quite a few people” interested in buying the finished product for a 52-minute TV film. No decision on final distribution of the project has been reached, though.
“Witch” is not the only Coelho title that will get a film treatment. Last month, it was announced that his 1988 novel “The Alchemist” will be made into a $60 million-plus film produced by Harvey Weinstein for the Weinstein Co. and starring, directed by and produced by Laurence Fishburne.
Coelho said “Witch” will be the only project that he’s doing with his readers.
“I don’t have any sort of idea of what’s going to happen,” Coelho said, “which makes the project much more interesting.” (partialdiff)
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day