- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
NEW YORK — With seven each, Battles and Of Montreal scored the most nominations for the upcoming the 2008 Plug Independent Music Awards. Voting began Tuesday for the annual awards ceremony, which will be held March 6 at New York’s Terminal 5.
Battles and Of Montreal are each nominated album of the year and artist of the year, followed closely by the Arcade Fire and French dance duo Justice with six apiece. Band of Horses and Panda Bear, the solo side project of Animal Collective’s Noah Lennox, scored five.
El-P is the hip-hop act with the most nominations (four); he faces off against artists such as Dan Deacon, Andrew Bird, Zach Condon (Beirut) and Sam Beam (Iron & Wine) for male artist of the year. With three nods each, Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, St. Vincent and Bat For Lashes are the female-fronted groups with the most nominations.
Other groups up for the artist of the year honor include Animal Collective, Okkervil River, Radiohead, Spoon and the National.
All together, there are 29 honors to be handed out, each with 12 nominees (with exception to label of the year, which has 13). A full list can be found at the Plug Awards’ Web site.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day