- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
COLOGNE, Germany — Mexican star Gael Garcia Bernal will star in “Mammoth,” the English-language debut from Swedish director Lukas Moodysson.
“Mammoth” is a domestic drama revolving around a young couple, their child and their Filipino nanny, played by Filipino actress Marife Necisito. Casting for the other roles is under way.
Moodysson, director of the critically acclaimed features “Show Me Love,” “Together” and “Lilya 4-ever,” plans to shoot “Mammoth” in Sweden, New York, Thailand and the Philippines.
The film is a co-production among Sweden’s Memfis Film, Denmark’s Zentropa Entertainment and Zentropa’s new German outpost, Zentropa Berlin.
Funding will come from a patchwork of subsidy bodies in Sweden, Germany and Denmark as well as from the Eurimages fund.
Zentropa’s Peter Aalbaek Jensen and director Lars von Trier will produce “Mammoth” along with Zentropa Berlin managing director Maria Kopf. Danish sales group Trust Film, under new CEO Rikke Ennis, will handle international sales.
Bernal is shooting Fernando Meirelles’ literary adaptation “Blindness” alongside Julianne Moore.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day