- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Attached to Wednesday’s motion to compel arbitration of the Casey Affleck sex harassment case is an interesting declaration by Affleck himself. In it, the actor/filmmaker reveals what he says are emails from accuser Amanda White, a producer of his upcoming Joaquin Phoenix documentary, that he believes show the duo had a strong personal and professional relationship on the film.
From December 2008 through April 2009, when White left the project for reasons not explained, “Ms White repeatedly expressed to me that she was very happy to be part of the project,” Affleck says in his declaration, which he signed in Truro, Mass., a little town about 2 hours outside Boston.
Then he cites emails from White to prove his point:
- March 6, 2009: “I am really happy to be part of this project. I do enjoy working with you and I think that most of the time, we do it well. I’m sorry for being short with you.”
Then, after she left the project due to alleged harassment, the declaration says White sent Affleck another email:
- April 6, 2009: “I do care about our relationship, both personal and professional. I wish you well with the project. I do believe in it. I thank you for the opportunity and for whatever endorsements you gave me along the way. I am happy to have been a part of it. All the best, Amanda.”
Affleck and White then allegedly exchanged some testy emails over the timing of White returning some production documents. But then she allegedly sent this friendly email with the subject line “Happy Birthday” (a couple days late; Affleck’s birthday is August 12):
- August 15: I thought I’d reach out to you and wish you a happy birthday.” Affleck then leaves out a portion of that email, which ends, “All the best to you and your family.”
Here’s the full declaration.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day