- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Gil Cates will produce next year’s Academy Awards, marking the 14th time he’s been hired for the job — more than any other person in show history.
AMPAS named Cates as the telecast’s producer Monday.
“He’s so talented … so creative and inventive, and so enormously passionate about the Oscars,” said Academy President Sid Ganis. “All of that will again translate into a night that people can’t wait to experience.”
Previous Oscar telecasts produced by Cates have resulted in 99 Emmy nominations and 25 awards, including a 1991 Emmy for Cates for producing the 63rd edition of the Academy Awards.
It will be up to Cates to choose this year’s host. Ellen DeGeneres served as Oscar host last year for the first time. Among those Cates has selected before include Steve Martin, Jon Stewart, Chris Rock and Billy Crystal.
The 80th Academy Awards presentation will take place on Feb. 24, 2008.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day