- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
U.K. newspaper publisher Trinity Mirror, owner of the Daily Mirror, on Wednesday said it has admitted liability and agreed to pay compensation to some victims of alleged phone hacking.
Emphasizing that the alleged hacking took place “many years ago,” it said: “The company today confirms that its subsidiary MGN Ltd has admitted liability to four individuals who had sued MGN for alleged interception of their voicemails many years ago.”
In a statement entitled “Historical Legal Issues,” it added: “MGN has apologized to those individuals and agreed to pay compensation. The amount of that compensation will be assessed by the court if it cannot be agreed.”
The Guardian reported that the four individuals are BBC creative director Alan Yentob and three British soap opera stars: Shane Richie and Lucy Benjamin of EastEnders and Coronation Street actress Shobna Gulati.
The company also said it has already settled six other alleged hacking-related civil claims. Financial and other details weren’t disclosed.
The Guardian reported that the six claimants included former Doctor Who star Christopher Eccleston and a former nanny for the kids of David and Victoria Beckham.
The Guardian said there are believed to be 19 additional individuals who have issued claims against Trinity Mirror. The U.K. phone-hacking scandal previously has mostly focused on the British newspaper arm of Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp.
Piers Morgan was the editor of the Daily Mirror in the past, with at least one claim relating to a time where he was in the role, according to the report. Morgan has denied any knowledge of or involvement in hacking.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day