- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Discovery Communications has partnered with German TV giant ProSiebenSat.1 on a new streaming service for the German market.
The 50/50 joint venture will see Discovery and ProSieben package content from ProSiebenSat.1’s seven German channels, both free-to-air and pay networks, as well from Discovery’s German networks DMAX and TLC for on-demand and streaming via ProSieben’s 7TV mobile app.
The launch of the new service is planned for later this year. The 7TV app currently offers live streams of ProSiebenSat.1’s free TV channels and on-demand viewing of its library content. The app has been downloaded some 6 million times since its launch in Germany in 2014.
Both partners on Tuesday said they were also looking to package the 7TV service with Discovery’s stand-alone Eurosport Player app, which features sports content from Discovery’s Eurosport network. Eurosport has several premium sports rights in Germany, including rights to the 2018 Olympic Winter Games and certain Bundesliga soccer rights.
The app is the first step in what Discovery and ProSieben on Tuesday said would be a partnership in a broader online streaming platform that would include other channels and, eventually, content from outside partners.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day