- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
NEW DELHI–Walt Disney Co. India announced Wednesday it will take over its home video distribution from licensee Excel Home Video, which was previously distributing the major’s titles here.
Its first release, “Tinkerbell,” will hit stores on May 13, marketed directly by WDCI via a newly-formed home entertainment marketing team which will focus on DVD sales. However, Excel will still be retained to distribute Disney DVDs to “smaller stores while the major retail chains will be serviced by WDCI,” a WDCI spokesperson said.
Various titles from the Disney catalog including live action films like the “High School Musical” franchise and “Hannah Montana” are in the pipeline.
This will also include dubbed versions of Disney releases such as “Bolt,” “Mickey Mouse Club House” and “My Friends Tigger and Pooh.” Future DVD releases will include WDCI’s local productions, which debuted last December with animation feature “Roadside Romeo,” co-produced with veteran Bollywood banner YashRaj Films.
A recent report by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry and PricewaterhouseCoopers India indicated that India’s current DVD player penetration of 9 million units is set to reach 38 million by 2013.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day