- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
CANNES — We Distribution, the new Hong Kong-based sales company backed by producer-director Peter Chan Ho-sun, has struck its first deals on “Bodyguards and Assassins.”
The picture, the first from Chan and Huang Jianxin’s new Cinema Popular stable, was licensed to Mediacorp Raintree Pictures and Festive Films for Singapore, RAM Entertainment for Malaysia, PT for Brunei, Teguh Bakti Mandiri for Indonesia, Parkit Films for Vietnam and Applause Entertainment for Taiwan.
The $23 million action drama is now shooting in China, with Teddy Chen directing and an all-star cast that includes Donnie Yen, Leon Lai, Tony Leung Ka-fai, Hu Jun and Nicholas Tse.
Recent cast additions have included three-time world kickboxing champion Cung Le (“Pandorum”) and Li Yuchun, China’s “American Idol”-like singing contest Super Girl winner.
The story is based on a fictionalized group of ordinary folk who helped foil the 1905 Hong Kong assassination attempt against revolutionary leader Dr. Sun Yat-sen.