- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Donald Trump will soon be Ed McMahon’s landlord.
Trump announced Thursday he would save the television personality’s Beverly Hills mansion from foreclosure by buying it for an undisclosed amount and leasing it to McMahon.
The developer told the Los Angeles Times he doesn’t know McMahon personally, but acted out of compassion because helping out “would be an honor.”
McMahon, 85, who was Johnny Carson’s sidekick on the “Tonight” show for three decades, has not worked for about 18 months because of a neck injury. He defaulted on $4.8 million in mortgage loans with Countrywide Financial Corp.
McMahon’s spokesman, Howard Bragman, said paperwork on the sale had not been completed but that McMahon was “very optimistic” the deal would go through.
“When I was at the Wharton School of Business I’d watch him every night,” Trump told the Times. “How could this happen?”
McMahon bought the six-bedroom, five-bathroom, 7,000-square-foot house in January 1990. The home was listed at $4.6 million last weekend — down from a peak price of $7 million.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day