- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Oscar-winning actress and screenwriter Emma Thompson has a confession to make: She has weaknesses too.
“I find the job I do emotionally very demanding,” the Brit told THR, referring to her job as an entertainer. “I suffer from occasional mild depression, which I think is a very common thing — it’s fantastically common in my country and probably in yours, too — and it’s a very much hidden thing people don’t talk about. I think it should be discussed.”
Thompson, who received a star on the Walk of Fame on Friday, revealed that she would be taking some time off after steadily working for years. Fellow actors Hugh Laurie and Maggie Gyllenhaal were present at the ceremony.
“Next year, I’m going to take a sabbatical,” Thompson revealed.
She later added: “I’m not going to fundraise or perform or travel, except in pursuit of new vistas with my family. I’ve been meaning to do this for a long, long time, but it’s been like putting the brakes on a large ship because there is so much going on.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day