- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
NEW YORK — Here! Films has acquired North American rights to the transsexual drama “The Amazing Truth About Queen Raquela,” winner of the Teddy Award for best feature at the 2008 Berlin International Film Festival.
Icelandic writer/director Olaf de Fleur’s feature is partly based on the life of lead actress Raquela Rios. In the film, her character falls into a life of prostitution in the Philippines before her dream of meeting a husband in Paris somehow leads her to an Iceland fish factory and a new career in porn.
Here! sister company Regent Releasing will launch the film’s platform Sept. 26 and this fall. The subtitled film contains English, Filipino and Icelandic dialogue.
The deal was negotiated by Regent’s Mark Reinhart with XYZ Films’ Nate Bolotin and Cicala Filmworks’ Stefan Schaefer on behalf of the director.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day