- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Contrary to recent local media reports, Game of Thrones’ season six won’t be shooting in Croatia.
“We can confirm that based on story and location needs, Game of Thrones will not be shooting in Croatia for season 6,” HBO said in a statement sent to The Hollywood Reporter.
“The question of whether the production will return to Croatia in the future will be decided once additional seasons are officially set by HBO,” reads the statement. “At that time, the production, along with HBO, will assess their location needs based on the scripts and storylines. HBO remains grateful to the [Croatian Audiovisual Center] and the Croatian crew for all of their continued support.”
Game of Thrones’ seasons 2 through 5 were partly shot in Croatia. It was among the first projects to benefit from Croatia’s cash rebate scheme, which was launched in January 2012.
Earlier this summer, Croatian media quoted the country’s entrepreneurship and trade minister Gordan Maras as saying that HBO was committed to shooting in Croatia for the series’ next two seasons.
Last year, HBO spent around €5.7 million on production in Croatia, according to a report in the local magazine Croatia Week.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day