- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
NEW YORK — “Gleeks” around the world will be able to enjoy more “Glee” with merchandise tied to the Fox hit show starting this fall.
Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products on Thursday unveiled plans for its merchandising launch for the freshman TV show at the Licensing International Expo in Las Vegas. The News Corp. unit said the global licensing program will tap into key attributes of the show — music, dance, self-expression and comedy -– and focus on several categories, including video games, games, apparel, accessories and books.
“Glee has hit a high note as one of the most attractive entertainment properties in the market today and ‘Gleeks’ are embracing the show into all aspects of their lives,” said Robert Marick, executive vp of Fox Consumer Products. “The merchandise launch will allow fans to continue to engage and express themselves in ways that are core to the essence of the show.”
He said the company has held back the launch to create an event feel at retail stores.
Here’s a look at select “Glee” merchandise planned for the fall:
* Fox Consumer Products has partnered with Konami Digital Entertainment on a Wii game called “Karaoke Revolution Glee,” in which players can sing alongside their favorite “Glee” characters and perform some of the most memorable music scenes from season one.
* Griffin International will develop a “Glee” karaoke machine, boom box and other electronic devices, while Cardinal Industries will launch board games, trivia games and puzzles.
* Hallmark will launch a line of greeting cards with sound that capture the show’s humor.
* Little, Brown Books for Young Readers will launch a “Glee” publishing program in the fall with a series of “Glee” original novels and the like.
* Various partners will launch t-shirts, sweatshirts, sleepwear, headwear and other apparel, as well as bags and small leather goods. In a key deal with a retail giant, Macy’s will be the exclusive place for a broad line of “Glee” t-shirts, jackets and other apparel from Awake Inc. starting in August and running through the 2010 holiday season. Also, Claire’s will debut exclusive “Glee” jewelry in September.
* Holiday gift sets and back-to-school merchandise, such as branded pens, notebooks and school planners, will also be available.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day