- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Oscar show producers Bill Mechanic and Adam Shankman are turning to Hamish Hamilton, who’s directed such freewheeling awards ceremonies as the “MTV Video Music Awards,” to energize the 82nd Annual Academy Awards.
It will be Hamilton’s first time at the helm of the Oscar broadcast, but he brings with him a long resume directing live TV events. In addition to the “MTV Video Music Awards,” he’s also overseen the “MTV Europe Music Awards” as well as live concert performances by such musicians as U2, Neil Diamond, Josh Groban, Stevie Wonder, and Christina Aguilera.
“Hamish is a first-rate live show director who will bring enthusiasm, experience and a fresh eye to the table,” Shankman said. “He’s also a master of working with all of the latest technology in television production, which speaks to the kind of cutting-edge show Bill and I are planning.”
“Adam and I know that having Hamish at the helm will give us the right style and energy for the show we want to produce,” Mechanic added. “And his approach definitely won’t feel like ‘business as usual.’ “
Hamilton will also direct the Super Bowl XLIV halftime show in February before turning to the Oscars, which will be broadcast live on ABC from the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland on March 7.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day