- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Harvey Weinstein and The Weinstein Co. are being sued by an anonymous actress who says she was raped at a Beverly Hills hotel in 2016 and the company was aware of the producer’s “repeated acts of sexual misconduct” before it happened to her.
The complaint, filed Tuesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court by attorney Gloria Allred for a Jane Doe, alleges met Weinstein at a 2011 party at Chateau Marmont. The accuser claims after the mogul learned she was an actress, he offered to assist her with her career and asked for her phone number. From there, he invited her to awards show parties and maintained regular communication over the next few years.
Doe then met with Weinstein at the Montage Hotel in Beverly Hills in late 2015 to discuss an acting opportunity on a television series and other projects. “At some point, he said he wanted to masturbate in front of her,” writes Allred. “Despite her telling Weinstein ‘no,’ Weinstein proceeded to grab her wrist with one hand while using the other to masturbate in front of her until completion.” The following spring, Doe says she met with him again at the Montage under the impression she had been chosen for a part. During that meeting, she alleges she was raped.
The actress claims the company knew “of Weinstein’s pattern of using his power and the promise of procuring jobs to coerce and force actresses to engage in sexual acts with him.” The complaint cites a reported clause in the producer’s contract that dictated if Weinstein was sued for misconduct he must reimburse the company for the settlements plus pay liquidated damages to TWC.
Doe is suing for sexual battery, gender violence, battery, assault and negligence. She is seeking damages and an injunction that would bar Weinstein and TWC from “engaging in similar conduct toward other women.”
A representative for Weinstein issued a statement following the filing: “Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein. Mr. Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances. Mr. Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr. Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual.”
In the weeks following a series of reports that detail decades of sexual assault and harassment allegations by dozens of women, this is the third civil lawsuit filed against Weinstein by a woman who claims she was assaulted.