- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
BEIJING — Another Hollywood remake of a Hong Kong hit was announced Monday as Jackie Chan’s JCE Movies Ltd. sold the rights to action-comedy “Enter the Phoenix” to Flashpoint Entertainment, producers of “The Bourne Ultimatum.”
Andrew Tennenbaum will produce the remake of the 2004 original, according to a statement from L.A.-based Flashpoint.
“This is my first Asian film remake and I couldn’t be more excited,” Tennenbaum said.
Last year, “The Departed,” a remake of Hong Kong boxoffice winner “Infernal Affairs,” won four Oscars, including best picture and best director for helmer Martin Scorsese.
Financial details of the “Phoenix” deal, brokered with help from the Shanghai office of the William Morris Agency, were not disclosed.
The original “Phoenix,” produced by Chan, Albert Yeung and Willie Chan and sold internationally by Emperor Motion Pictures (Chan’s joint venture partner in JCE), was directed and co-written by its star, Stephen Fung.
“Stephen tells a great story and has a terrific sense of humor,” Tennenbaum said. “This movie should be remade for a bigger, broader audience.”
The Cantonese-language original was Fung’s directorial debut. The plot centers on the gay son of a boss whose dying wish is that he take over the family business.
Tennenbaum, whose credits include “The Bourne Identity” and “The Bourne Supremacy,” is meeting with writers and directors to create the adaptation.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day