- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Veteran writer, guild activist and USC screenwriting professor Howard Rodman was elected president of the Writers Guild of America, West, the guild announced Monday, marking the start of leadership that will continue through negotiation of the next major studio contract in 2016-2017. He succeeds Chris Keyser, who served two terms, the guild’s maximum.
David Goodman (Family Guy) is the new vice president, and Aaron Mendelsohn, running without opposition, was elected secretary-treasurer. All three will serve two-year terms.
Elected to the guild’s board of directors were Billy Ray (incumbent), Meredith Stiehm, Andrea Berloff, Mara Brock Akil, Luvh Rakhe, Zak Penn, Carleton Eastlake (inc.), Ari Rubin (inc.) and former guild president Patric Verrone (inc.). All except Verrone will serve two years. His term is a single year, filling the vacancy created by Mendelsohn’s election to the secretary-treasurer position.
Separately, the WGA East announced its results last Thursday. President Michael Winship, vice president Jeremy Pikser and secretary-treasurer Bob Schneider were reelected. Elected as freelance members on the guild’s council were Henry Bean (inc.), Andrea Ciannavei, Bonnie Datt (inc.), Susan Kim (inc.), Bill Scheft and Courtney Simon (inc.), while staff members elected were David Keller, Sue Brown McCann (inc.) and Phil Pilato (inc.). All terms are two years. Freelance members work in screen, television and digital media, and staff members work in television, radio and digital news shops under WGAE jurisdiction.
The WGA West also released numerical breakdowns. The number of eligible voting members was 8,778, with a total of 2,401 valid ballots cast, representing 27 percent voter turnout. Votes received were as follows:
* President: Howard A. Rodman (1,557), Joan Meyerson (749).
* Vice President: David A. Goodman (1,262), Carl Gottlieb (982).
* Secretary-Treasurer: Aaron Mendelsohn (2,050) (unopposed).
* Board of Directors: Billy Ray (1,688), Meredith Stiehm (1,601), Andrea Berloff (1,465), Mara Brock Akil (1,402), Luvh Rakhe (1,317), Zak Penn (1,165), Carleton Eastlake (1,100), Ari B. Rubin (988), Patric M. Verrone (915), Dan Wilcox (893), Alfredo Barrios, Jr. (890), Courtney Ellinger (856), Cole Haddon (837), Karen Harris (588), Cynthia Riddle (542), Aaron Fullerton (351).
Bookmark The Hollywood Reporter’s Labor Page for the most in-depth coverage of entertainment unions and guilds.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day