- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
TOKYO — Quentin Tarantino, in town this month to promote “Inglourious Basterds,” took the opportunity to act in some TV commercials for mobile carrier Softbank.
The quirky “White Family” commercials, which feature a talking-dog father and an older brother character played by American Dante Carter, have been a hugely successful for Softbank, and about 60 have been made so far. (Watch a Softbank preview of the commercial below.)
Tarantino, a longtime Japanophile, is to appear as “Uncle Tara-chan,” dressed in a black kimono — a new addition to the unconventional family in a country where the nuclear family remains very much the norm.
Brad Pitt, who was in Tokyo with Tarantino promoting “Inglourious Basterds,” also has starred in commercials for Softbank.
“Inglourious Basterds” is set to open in Japan on Nov. 20, around the time the commercials are expected to begin airing.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day