- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
School girl anime film Love Live! The School Idol Movie took the number one spot at the Japanese box office this weekend with a $3.3 million (?400 million) opening, with Hirokazu Koreeda‘s Cannes entry Our Little Sister coming in second with $1.8 million (?229 million).
Manga adaptation Yokoku-han dropped from second to fourth on its second weekend, with the TV drama that takes up the story one year after the movie now showing on satellite network WOWOW.
Sion Sono‘s Shinjuku Swan dropped to fifth, while Cinderella fell to the sixth spot in its eighth weekend of release and has now grossed more than $46 million (?5.4 billion) at the Japanese box office.
Naomi Kawase‘s An spent a second week at number 10 after bowing outside the top 10 and has pulled in $1.9 million (?235 million) from more than 200,000 admissions. The Cannes Un Certain Regard title is more mainstream than Kawase’s usual fare and has seen a solid box-office performance for the director.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day