- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Avengers: Age of Ultron topped the Japanese box office during its debut weekend with a $6.5 million (?794 million) tally and half a million admissions, scoring the biggest opening for a Hollywood film in the country this year.
The latest installment of the Disney and Marvel Studios superhero franchise easily beat Cinderella‘s $4.7 million (?556 million) bow at the end of April. Cinderella went on to finish with nearly $50 million in Japan.
Ultron finally knocked musical schoolgirl anime film Love Live! The School Idol Movie from its three-week run in the top position in Japan. Love Live! has now brought in more than $12 million (?1.48 billion) at the local box office.
Shaun the Sheep opened in third spot in Japan this weekend with $920,000 (?112 million), while Mad Max: Fury Road fell to fourth spot during its third weekend and has now racked up $8.9 million (?1.1 billion) from 735,000 admissions.
Cannes competition entry Our Little Sister from Hirokazu Koreeda fell to fifth and has pulled in $10.1 million (?1.24 billion) from 998,750 admissions after its fourth weekend in cinemas.
Tomorrowland fell four spots to eighth and has brought in $11.2 million (?1.37 billion) in Japan.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day