- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The bicoastal legal battle between Kesha and Dr. Luke (Lukasz Gottwald) is now limited to New York, after the pop star on Monday dismissed her California lawsuit against the producer.
“Kesha has dismissed her California action without prejudice while she pursues her appeal and other legal claims in the New York courts,” says the singer’s attorney Daniel M. Petrocelli. “Kesha is focused on getting back to work and has delivered 28 new songs to the record label. We have conveyed to Sony Music and the label Kesha’s strong desire to release her next album and single as soon as possible.”
The legal battle began in 2014, when Kesha filed a disturbing lawsuit claiming Dr. Luke had sexually abused her, forced her to take illegal drugs and was excessively controlling. A New York judge denied an injunction to allow her to record with another label and pared down her suit earlier this year. She then beefed up her legal team with Petrocelli and filed an appeal.
Meanwhile, Kesha’s California case had been paused, and in a May status conference the pop star’s attorneys indicated they would revive the claims. Even with this latest development, that isn’t totally out of the question. Petrocelli says her legal team filed a motion to voluntarily dismiss the claims without prejudice, which means she could pursue them later.
Dr. Luke’s attorney, Christine Lepera, sent The Hollywood Reporter the following statement: “If Kesha is voluntarily dismissing her claims in the California case, it is because she has no chance of winning them. Earlier this year, she lost her meritless counterclaims against Dr. Luke in the New York Action. Recently, the California Court invited Dr. Luke and the other defendants to move to dismiss Kesha’s claims in that action. Kesha never should have brought her false and meritless claims against Dr. Luke in any court. Dr. Luke’s defamation and other claims against Kesha are still proceeding.”
Sony declined to comment.
6:30 p.m. PT: Updated with the statement from Dr. Luke’s attorney.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day