- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
EXCLUSIVE: A man who says he pitched a reality show about collecting unpaid child support has sued Fox and production outfit 3Ball Prods for $1.19 million for going forward with the project without him.
Jack Price, a 26-year law enforcement veteran, claims in a new lawsuit that he turned over a detailed treatment for “Deadbeat Dads” to Fox “in confidence” but the network took the idea and ran with it. The treatment, attached to the complaint, contains explicit plans for an “America’s Most Wanted”-style series following single moms as they track down the fathers who owe them money.
On April 24, 2008, THR’s James Hibberd reported that Fox had ordered a pilot from 3Ball called “Bad Dads,” which follows single moms as they hunt down delinquent fathers. Hibberd’s story (also attached to the complaint) says the pilot was originally called “Deadbeat Dads” before being changed announcement last year of its development slate but has not, as far as we can tell, moved forward with the project.
No matter to Price and fellow plaintiffs Crown Group, Inc., Beaux Carson, Carson Entertainment Group and Carson Signature Films.
They say they’re owed at least $1.19 million (the “reasonable value” of the idea, per year) because they will be “unlikely to be able to sell their project to another broadcaster or production company, and therefore is (sic) uncompensated for their rendering of their service to Defendants,” according to the form complaint. They also say Fox changed the name of the project from “Deadbeat Dads” to “Bad Dads” to “conceal the connection” to their project.
We’ve reached out to Fox for comment and will update with a response. UPDATE: Fox is declining to comment on the case.
Fox, 3Ball and principal J.D. Roth are named as defendants, as is Jim Durham, the National Child Support founder who allegedly starred in the Fox pilot. The case, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day