- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Instead of “cheers,” bourbon drinkers could soon be toasting with a different expression: “All right, all right, all right.”
Texas-born actor Matthew McConaughey has signed a multiyear contract with Italian beverage company Gruppo Campari to be the creative director of the Wild Turkey bourbon brand.
The star of True Detective and Interstellar will write, direct and star in ads for the whiskey, using it as a platform for the developing marketing phase of his career. In 2014, McConaughey, hot off a best actor Oscar win, appeared in a series of popular television ads for automaker Lincoln, which resulted in a major sales bump.
Wild Turkey on Monday kicked off the campaign with a six-minute YouTube video in which McConaughey explains his desire to “have [his] hands in the clay of how we tell the story.”
“I want to be a part of the whole story,” McConaughey says in the video, “not just the character in it. This is my new gig.”
The campaign launches in full in September with a series of TV spots and digital ads.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day