- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Saudi Arabia is officially getting its second cinema chain.
Just a day after AMC’s historic opening in Riyadh on April 18, the Middle East’s biggest regional theater chain Vox announced that it too had been awarded a licence to operate in the kingdom and would be opening Saudi Arabia’s first multiplex in the coming days.
The Vox Cinemas Riyadh Park — housed inside the Riyadh Park Mall — will consist of four screens, including the country’s first Imax screen, and will reportedly show family friendly fare including animation and educational films.
Vox, part of the giant Majid Al Futtaim conglomerate, has said it plans to open 600 screens over the next five years across Saudi Arabia. It’ll likely be joined by other operators including Vue and iPic in the coming months as the gold rush to take advantage of an untapped market estimated to be worth some $1 billion heats up.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day