- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Kaling stars in The Mindy Project, playing a doctor balancing her career and her love life in New York. She created and serves as showrunner for the the Fox series, which is currently airing the second part of its third season. The sitcom, which premiered in 2012 to acclaim, co-stars Chris Messina and Ike Barinholtz. It airs to steady but low ratings, often teetering on the verge of cancelation.
The actress broke out with her role as the flirtatious, unapologetic Kelly Kapoor on The Office. She was also a writer on the NBC hit, joining the writers’ room when she was just 24, and earned six Emmy nominations for her work on the show, including a nomination for outstanding writing she shared with showrunner Greg Daniels for the 2009 wedding episode, “Niagara.”
In film, her supporting roles include parts in This Is the End, The Five-Year Engagement, No Strings Attached and The 40-Year-Old Virgin. She’ll voice one of the central roles — the emotion of Disgust — in Pixar’s upcoming Inside Out.
She published a memoir, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, in 2011, and she has a second book, Why Not Me?, due out this year. In spring, she spoke at Harvard Law School’s commencement.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day