- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Rene Balcer is returning to “Law & Order” as executive producer on the West Coast as the NBC drama returns for its 18th season.
The Emmy-winning writer-producer had left the show several years ago to develop and executive produce “Law & Order: Criminal Intent.” But with “L&O” getting renewed and “Criminal Intent” going to USA Network for its first run next season, Balcer is returning to the “mothership.”
He will replace Nicolas Wooten.
“L&O” creator/executive producer Dick Wolf noted that it’s been almost 20 years since he and Balcer began to work together.
“Rene’s talent has been manifest since the first season of ‘Law & Order,’ ” he said. “It was under his watch that the show won the outstanding drama series Emmy Award, and his work on ‘Law & Order: Criminal Intent’ was groundbreaking. Rene’s return to ‘Law & Order’ signals a creative renaissance on the mothership that should carry us closer to my ultimate goal of beating ‘Gunsmoke.’ “
“Gunsmoke,” the longest- running primetime drama in TV history, ran 20 seasons on CBS, from 1955-75.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day