- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
After a rocky and ultimately ill-fated year with Rosie O’Donnell, “The View” officially announced Oscar-winning actress-comedian Whoopi Goldberg as its new moderator.
Terms of the deal were not announced for Goldberg, a frequent guest and guest host of the daytime chatfest. She will join the cast Sept. 4 for the official start of the show’s 11th season on ABC.
“She’s brilliant, she’s funny, she’s an enormous talent,” said “View” co-host/executive producer Barbara Walters in introducing Goldberg to the audience on Wednesday’s program.
Goldberg said she was happy to join “View” and joked that she had watched it “once or twice.”
“I love this show. I love coming on it,” Goldberg told Walters. “I love hanging out with you guys, so this is a big old thrill for me.”
Goldberg replaces O’Donnell, whose single season as moderator was marked by controversy and bickering between co-hosts and a feud with Donald Trump over the Miss USA pageant.
O’Donnell replaced Meredith Vieira, who moved in 2006 to co-anchor NBC’s “Today.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day