- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Harper Collins signed self-publishing sensation Dallas Clayton to a three-book deal.
The Los Angeles-based Clayton self-published the children’s picture book An Awesome World! in 2009 after writing it for his then six-year-old son (with actress Shannyn Sossamon) Audio Science. An Awesome Book!, which Clayton says is about “dreaming big and never giving up,” evokes a brighter and softer Maurice Sendak with a hint of Shel Silverstein. At first available just through his website, Clayton sold tens of thousands of copies of the book through word-of-mouth and Internet marketing.
In 2009 he established the Awesome World Foundation, which promotes literacy by donating one copy of An Awesome Book! to charity for every copy sold through the website. Amazon published Clayton’s follow-up book, An Awesome Book of Thanks!, in 2010 through its Encore imprint.
Under the deal Harper Collins will publish its own edition of An Awesome Book! in spring 2012. Clayton will also develop children’s content across multiple platforms, including television. He is repped by Dave Becky and Richard Abate at 3 Arts, which also repped this summer’s hit kid’s book Go The F**k To Sleep.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day