- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The latest twist in the Shahs of Sunset labor dispute occurred Friday, as Ryan Seacrest Productions said it could no longer work with the editors who had been picketing, and Bravo took over the production. A Bravo spokesperson said that “no decision” had been made on whether to replace the striking workers, but sources told The Hollywood Reporter that the network has decided to replace the editors.
“Bravo controls the rights to Shahs of Sunset and as a result, makes all final decisions regarding production and budgetary matters,” said a Ryan Seacrest Productions spokesperson in a statement. “RSP has deferred to the network’s decision for Bravo to assume all remaining production duties on Shahs of Sunset. RSP will be unable to continue working with the editors that were previously engaged on this production.”
Bravo acknowledged the takeover in a statement to THR. “Bravo is assuming control of production of season four of Shahs of Sunset from Ryan Seacrest Productions.” The network added, “No other decisions have been made about the show,” including as to whether to replace the striking workers.
Sources told THR that a decision had been made and that the striking editors would not be rehired. That drew condemnation from the union seeking to represent the editors, IATSE’s Motion Picture Editors Guild.
“The right to organize, including the right to strike, is enshrined in federal law,” said the guild in a statement. “It is an egregious violation of the law for any employer to discharge or otherwise retaliate against employees for exercising their right to organize. The Editors Guild and IATSE will aggressively defend the rights of our membership against all such violations.”
Meanwhile, the RSP statement included what does sound like a farewell. “We appreciate the passion, commitment and contributions these editors made to the fourth season of Shahs of Sunset, and we’re extremely proud of the show and applaud all the great work that the cast, producers and crew have made to date.”
3:40 p.m., Sept. 29 Updated with additional information, Bravo statement
Bookmark The Hollywood Reporter‘s Labor Page for the most in-depth coverage of entertainment unions and guilds.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day