- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Warner Bros. has moved up the release date for its ensemble flick “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2” two days, to Aug. 6.
Going out on a Wednesday will help “Pants” get out in front of a busy late-summer weekend. And more importantly, it will provide additional time for positive word of mouth to circulate on a pic that’s been playing well in pre-release screenings, Warners distribution president Dan Fellman said.
“It gives us a couple days of extra summer play time,” Fellman said. “So it just looked like a smart thing to do.”
Two rival wide releases are set unspool Aug. 8 — Sony’s Seth Rogen starrer “Pineapple Express” and Lionsgate’s Little League drama “The Perfect Game.” Disney tried a similar Wednesday release with its “Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement,” which unspooled Aug. 11 and rung up an extra $8 million ahead of the following weekend.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day