- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
David Weil is adding Starz to his resume.
The hire was announced Tuesday by CEO Chris Albrecht, to whom Weil will report.
The former CEO of Walden Media/Bristol Bay Productions joins the company as the executive vp and general counsel of business and legal affairs, where his primary responsibility will be developing Starz’s strategic direction of business and legal affairs. He’ll oversee the network’s linear channels, affiliate negotiations and worldwide distribution and home entertainment businesses.
The position was formerly held by Steve Beabout, who recently announced his retirement after 18 years.
“David is a talented and highly respected executive with a keen legal mind who has successfully dealt with issues and individuals at all levels of the entertainment industry,” said Albrecht. “We are looking forward to adding him to our executive team and working together to continue growing the Starz businesses.”
Added Weil: “I’m truly pleased to join Chris and his accomplished team at Starz, where they have had so much success and are well positioned to achieve even more.”
The news comes a day after Starz announced that it has greenlighted The Girlfriend Experience, a half-hour series based on Steven Soderbergh‘s film of the same name.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day