- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
NEW YORK — Tom Cruise is in negotiations to play the title character in Spyglass Entertainment’s remake of the French spy thriller “The Tourist.”
Cruise has been considering the project for weeks as one of several potential next moves for the star, and is likely to be the next project he tackles.
Bharat Nalluri will direct screenwriter Julian Fellowes’ adaptation of the 2005 feature, which follows an American tourist used as a pawn in a spy game by a female Interpol agent. Canal Plus will produce alongside Spyglass.
Cruise’s career has been in a slump in recent months following delays on the release of his Nazi-fighting biopic “Valykrie,” and a slow-starting slate at his United Artists label. He was recently replaced by Angelina Jolie in the reconfigured drama “Edwin A. Salt,” and is looking to revitalize his career by possibly starring in the Working Title comedy “Food Fight.”
“Tourist” is a different project from the recently announced Warner Bros. film based on a novel of the same name, set to be produced and potentially star George Clooney.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day