- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
NEW DELHI — Toonz Animation India and Argentina-based Illusion Studios have inked a co-production deal for a 90-minute 3D animated feature “Gaturro,” based on the famous Argentine comic strip of the same name.
Based on a comic book property by Christian Dzwonik, “Gaturro” chronicles the love story of two cats, Gaturro and Agatha.
The “deal is estimated to be worth US$6 million and pre-production on the feature has already been completed” at Toonz’s Trivandrum facility, Toonz said in a statement Thursday. “Gaturro” is expected to release next year.
“’Gaturro’ as a comic strip is an iconic character and it would demand greater care to give life to him in a different medium. But I am confident that we will be able to rise up to the expectations of our audience,” said Toonz Animation CEO P. Jayakumar.
“We are absolutely proud to have Toonz Animation India on board. It is an essential contribution to our international positioning, as well as to our strategy of opening up new markets for our film industry,” added Illusion Studios CEO José Luis Massa.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day