- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The film, which had its world premiere as a special presentation at the Toronto Film Festival, features Barbara stars Nina Hoss and Ronald Zehrfeld.
Arguably Petzold’s most ambitious film to date, Phoenix is a sort-of retelling of Alfred Hitchcock‘s Vertigo, set in Allied-occupied post-World War II Germany. Hoss plays a concentration-camp survivor who has to have facial reconstruction surgery. When she goes out to find her husband, who may have betrayed her to the Nazis, he doesn’t recognize her.
Phoenix marks the sixth film collaboration between Petzold and Hoss. Their last feature, Barbara, won the Silver Bear for best directing in Berlin.
Arianna Bocco of Sundance Selects/IFC Films negotiated the deal with The Match Factory, which is handling international sales of the title.
After Toronto, Phoenix heads to the San Sebastian film festival, where it will screen in competition.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day