- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
“Twilight” is off to a bright start on shiny disc.
Summit Entertainment said more than 3 million DVDs of its vampire-romance title jumped off store shelves over its first day. The first-day haul for “Twlight” came via an unusual Saturday launch as discs generally debut on Tuesdays.
The “Twilight” sales rank among the top five best-selling DVD titles of the past two years, execs said. The big DVD tally follows an outsized theatrical run for the first in a planned trio of pics based on the “Twlight” book series.
“We are incredibly appreciative that ‘Twilight’ frans came out to once again support this film at our midnight events across the nation,” Summit home entertainment topper Steve Nickerson said Sunday.
“Twilight” has produced $373 million in worldwide boxoffice. Global boxoffice includes more than $191 million in domestic grosses since bowing Nov. 21, plus $181 million in foreign coin.
Two “Twlight” sequels have been announced: “New Moon,” set to unspool Nov. 20, and “Eclipse,” recently scheduled for a June 30, 2010, opening. All three “Twilight” pics are based on best-selling novels most popular with tweens and teens.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day