- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
RALEIGH, N.C. — Uncle Kracker, a former disc jockey for Kid Rock, was arrested early Friday on a second-degree sex offense charge, authorities said.
Raleigh police spokesman Jim Sughrue said a 26-year-old woman alleged that a man had committed a sexual act against her at the Ess Lounge, a downtown nightclub.
Kracker, 33, was arrested at a hotel in suburban Cary. He was being held at the Wake County Jail on a $5 million bond, Sughrue said.
Sughrue said police had obtained a warrant charging Kracker with second-degree forcible sex offense.
Kracker, whose real name is Matthew Shafer, was to appear in court Friday afternoon, Wake County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Phyllis Stevens said.
A message left with his listed agency in Nashville wasn’t returned, and a phone number for his listed management company in Harrison Township, Mich., was disconnected.
Kracker’s hits include “When the Sun Goes Down,” a duet with Kenny Chesney. The rock-country musician also has won acclaim for “Follow Me” and a cover version of Dobie Gray’s “Drift Away.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day