- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Some serious headliners turned up Thursday night at the James Perse store in Beverly Hills for an event marking the publication of “The Traveling Wilburys,” a limited-edition book chronicling rock’s superdupergroup.
Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne were joined by their bandmates’ widows, Olivia Harrison and Barbara Orbison, along with Ringo Starr, Joe Walsh, Eric Idle, Wilburys drummer Jim Keltner, Gary Wright and host James Perse.
Almost 20 years have passed since the second and last Traveling Wilburys record — cheekily titled “Vol. 3,” and the book looks back at the group — Petty, Lynne, Bob Dylan, George Harrison and Roy Orbison — from its casual beginnings through the songwriting and recording sessions via previously unpublished photos, handwritten lyrics, log book entries, song arrangements, notes and sketches, many of which are hand-pasted onto and between the pages as individual reproductions.
The 144-page tome from Genesis Publications retails for $465 at the James Perse store and online for £195 ($295) at genesis-publications.com/the-traveling-wilburys.
Jeff Lynne, Olivia Harrison and Tom Petty (Photo by Rob Shanahan)
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day