- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Previously, Gomez held the title with 146,267,801 followers, but as of press time, Grande had barely eclipsed her fellow pop star with 146,286,173 followers. Both women are only outpaced by soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo, who took the title as the most-followed person on Instagram from Gomez back in October.
Grande’s latest social-media achievement hardly comes as a surprise, considering that she’s gained more than 13 million new Instagram followers in the last four months and maintains a hyperactive presence on the platform.
Comparatively, Gomez announced in September that she would be taking a major break from social media before subsequently checking into an inpatient facility to seek mental health treatment. Since then, the “Back to You” singer’s posting on the photo-sharing app has been minimal.
Grande’s new Instagram title comes on the heels of her record-breaking success with the release of her fifth full-length LP Thank U, Next, which is spending a second week at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart.
This article was originally published on Billboard.com.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day