- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo, who is the current face of EA’s FIFA 19 game, is currently embroiled in a sexual misconduct scandal after a woman, Kathryn Mayorga, accused him of raping her in Las Vegas in 2009. On Thursday, the video game company responded to the allegations.
“We have seen the concerning report that details allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo,” a spokesperson for EA told The Hollywood Reporter. “We are closely monitoring the situation, as we expect cover athletes and ambassadors to conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with EA’s values.”
As of the time of this report, Ronaldo is still featured as the cover star of FIFA 19.
Last week, Ronaldo’s attorneys threatened to sue German newsmagazine Der Spiegel for its “blatantly illegal” publishing of Mayorga’s claims.
Ronaldo responded to the allegations in an Instagram video last week, calling them “fake news.”
Nike, which has a contract with Ronaldo, also told the Associated Press on Thursday that the company was “deeply concerned” by the allegations and will continue to “closely monitor the situation” as well.
Also announced Thursday, the Portugal national team did not list Ronaldo on its roster for upcoming games against Poland and Scotland this month.
The soccer player is among the highest paid athletes in the world, having recently signed a transfer deal from Spanish football club Real Madrid to Italian squad Juventus for $116 million (100 million euros) and was the cover star of the FIFA franchise last year.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day