- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Snapchat is helping make the Upside Down a little more real.
The app has teamed with Netflix to promote the second season of Stranger Things with an augmented reality experience that will let people walk around the alternate dimension.
The experience, which can be unlocked via a Snapcode (Snapchat’s version of a QR code), lets people explore the parallel version of the Byers family living room.
Netflix is the first brand partner to use this new AR technology — what Snapchat calls a “world lens” — to create a portal into another dimension.
The experience is currently only available in the U.S. and on iPhones with the latest software installed. Users in the U.S. or Canada with a different phone will be able to access a face lens that gives them Eleven’s classic season one nosebleed. The Byers living will make an appearance, too.
In addition to accessing the lens via Snapcode, Snapchat is also making it available to unlock using Shazam while the Stranger Things theme song plays.
Stranger Things returns Oct. 27 on Netflix.
Snapchat has created a preview video to give users a peek at how the Stranger Things world lens works.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day