10:28am PT by Aaron Couch
Daniel Craig on Bond Return: "No Decision Has Been Made"
Daniel Craig says he has not yet renewed his license to kill.
Last month, an untitled Bond 25 was set for a 2019 release date, but neither Craig nor a director was included in the announcement. Soon after, The New York Times and others reported Craig would indeed be back as the British spy.
But speaking Tuesday on a Boston radio program, Craig weighed in himself.
"I'd hate to burst the bubble, but no decision has been made at the moment. There's a lot of noise out there and nothing official has been confirmed and I'm not, like, holding out for more money or doing anything like that. It's just all very personal decisions to be made at the moment," Craig said on Morning Magic 106.7. "I know they're desperate to get going and I would in theory love to do it, but there is no decision just yet."
Craig has been playing James Bond since 2006's Casino Royale, and after 2015's Spectre, made headlines for negative comments about the possibility of continuing as Bond. Recently, he has seemed to have softened his outlook toward reprising the role. The franchise has flourished with Craig in the lead, with Spectre earning $880 million worldwide and 2012's Skyfall earning more than $1.1 billion.
In addition to its star and director being in limbo, other elements of Bond 25 are also up in the air. MGM and EON do not have a U.S. studio partner and have been in talks with several after its four-picture deal with Sony expired with Spectre.
To add further fuel to the Bond speculation, earlier this month Showtime CEO David Nevins said Craig's series Purity has been delayed and will not air until after Bond 25's Nov. 8, 2019 release.
"He's doing Bond first and I can't say anything about what I know or don't know about Bond, [but] It's possible it may not shoot until 2019," Nevins said.
Hat tip to Birth.Movies.Death for spotting the comments first.