'Pacific Rim 2' Development Is "Still Going," Guillermo del Toro Says
Director Guillermo del Toro says that all hope isn't lost when it comes to a potential sequel to 2013's Pacific Rim — and that he's still attached to the project.
On Twitter Monday, del Toro responded to an earlier Hollywood Reporter report that Pacific Rim 2 had been shelved indefinitely by writing on Twitter, "Don't believe everything you read. It's still going and I'll remain w it in one way or another!"
Heat Vision breakdown
Del Toro was originally scheduled to have followed last year's Crimson Peak with the follow-up to his cult 2013 monster movie, but it emerged last week that he was in talks to develop a new version of Fantastic Voyage for James Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment and 20th Century Fox instead.
At the time, a statement from Legendary Pictures and Universal said that both companies remained committed to the project, and that the delay was to allow the creative team time to "continue in its efforts to exceed the amazing experience of the first film."
One reason for the uncertainty surrounding the project is the rumored purchase of Legendary by Chinese company Wanda; while Pacific Rim underperformed in many international markets, it was most successful in China, and future Chinese ownership of the movie's owner might increase the likelihood of a sequel.
Pac Rim 2 cancelled? Don't believe everything you read. It's still going and I'll remain w it in one way or another!
— Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT) January 11, 2016
by Pamela McClintock
by Laurie Brookins
by Daniel Fienberg
by Jackie Strause