'Star Wars': Han Solo Film Loses Directors
Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are no longer directing the Han Solo Star Wars spinoff.
"Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it's become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we've decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon," Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, said Tuesday in a statement.
Heat Vision breakdown
"Unfortunately, our vision and process weren't aligned with our partners on this project," a statement from Lord and Miller read. "We normally aren't fans of the phrase 'creative differences' but for once this cliche is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew."
Lord and Miller, helmers of The Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street and its sequel 22 Jump Street, signed on to direct the Star Wars stand-alone in July 2015. The film features Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, while Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson and Donald Glover also star.
The pic has been shooting in London since February. Sources say there are several weeks left on the shoot (who will be helming those is currently under wraps), with reshoots scheduled for later this summer.
The release date of May 25, 2018, remains unchanged.
This isn't the first Star Wars film to face a director issue. On Rogue One, which was helmed by Gareth Edwards, Tony Gilroy was brought in to rewrite and help oversee extensive reshoots.
The issue of "creative differences" has been the cause of several director exits over the past couple of years on studio tentpoles. Tim Miller left Fox's sequel Deadpool 2; Rick Famuyiwa left Warner Bros. and DC's The Flash; and Michelle MacLaren left Wonder Woman (which was ultimately directed by Patty Jenkins, who had previously exited Thor 2).
by Aaron Couch, Graeme McMillan
by Gloria Leon as told to Chris Gardner
by Trilby Beresford