J.J. Abrams: Missing Luke Skywalker Is "No Accident"
As if to underscore the idea that audiences are meant to be wondering where Luke Skywalker is after the most recent trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, director J.J. Abrams has confirmed that Mark Hamill's absence was no oversight.
"These are good questions to be asking. I can't wait for you to find out the answers," Abrams said during a recent appearance when asked where Luke was, before confirming that the lack of Skywalker on the recent poster in addition to the trailer was "no accident."
Heat Vision breakdown
Those working on the film had been excited by the reaction to the trailer, he said, "especially [from] people who were saying that they're not even fans of Star Wars, but they're interested in seeing this thing now. It's a testament to all the amazing work that this cast and crew have done — and the studio, in rolling out the movie the way they have."
With less than two months left before the film's release, progress on finishing it continues, Abrams explained. "My guess is we'll probably be doing visual effects for the next three or four weeks, even though the cut will be done," he said. "We still have another scoring session with John Williams, who's a god when it comes to music, so it's been an ongoing, surreal experience. I just cannot wait for the movie to be out in the world."
Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be released Dec. 18.
by Graeme McMillan
by Lesley Goldberg
by Trilby Beresford