'American Idol' Vs. 'The Voice': Battle of the Finales
Frankie Valli, J.Lo and Aretha Franklin vs. Bruno Mars, Christina Aguilera and Cher: THR breaks down the big gets -- and who won.
A version of this story first appeared in the June 28 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
The Voice wrapped its fourth season on June 18 with a star-studded finale that included appearances by Cher (her first TV performance in a decade), Bruno Mars, OneRepublic, Nelly and Hunter Hayes, among others. Compared to American Idol’s season 12 closer on May 16, which featured a Frankie Valli group number and Aretha Franklin singing via satellite, the NBC show felt fresher. How did the two singing competitions stack up in other key areas? THR investigates …
AVERAGE PERFORMER AGE
Mars and Hayes helped bring down the average performer age to 38, more in line with the show's younger viewer demo.Winner: Voice
With 18 for Franklin and five for Carey, Idol reigns supreme -- though ratings for the Fox series were down 44 percent from 2012.
Voice: “Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
Idol: “Glad You Came” by The Wanted
The Voice goes with the hipper choice, complete with "Hey" grunts.
Idol: Aretha Franklin
In the battle of the divas, Cher comes out on top since the Queen of Soul couldn't make it to Idol's live show and sang via satellite.
Voice: Pitbull with Christina Aguilera
Idol: Pitbull with Jennifer Lopez
The Latino rapper performed with alumni of both shows.
Voice: Hunter Hayes
Idol: Emeli Sande
One's a Grammy-nominated country artist, the other a Scottish singer-songwriter with loads of promise.
Voice: Florida Georgia Line
Idol: The Band Perry
The Voice nabs the band that currently holds the No. 5 song in the country; Idol goes with a slightly more seasoned act whose latest album is already gold.
FINAL VERDICT: NBC's saving grace squeaks out a victory over the 12-year-old Fox show -- much like the ratings for the series' most recent seasons.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Ep. 12 Recap: 'Remember' Welcomes Team Rick To The Neighborhood
- Kendall Jenner's Throwback Bikini Photo Reminds Us The Winter Struggle Is Real
- Hollywood's Diversity Problem Starts At The Top, UCLA Report Finds
- Michael Jordan Fails Yet Again To Win 'Richest Person In The World' Title
- The Best Scene in House of Cards Happens in a Women’s Bathroom
- Veronica Roth’s Divergent Follow-up Will Be Star Wars–esque
- Ryan Murphy Gives Touching Speech, Reflects on Glee’s Legacy of Creating Acceptance Through Understanding
- Bob’s Burgers Did Its Own Game of Thrones Last Night, and You Should Be Thankful