- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Kevin Keller got the best wedding present possible.
The Life With Archie #16 comic, in which the character became the first gay character to wed in the longrunning Archie Comics series, sold out of stores, its publisher’s co-CEO Jon Goldwater announced in a press release. The wedding brought to idyllic fictional Riverdale a dose of modern day politics: Keller is a military veteran who met his new husband, an African American, while serving in Iraq.
PHOTOS: Comic-Book Characters In Dispute
The conservative group One Million Moms protested the issue, demanding that Toys R’ Us take the issue off its shelves, but the store held firm, leading to big sales and Goldwater’s triumphant press release.
“Kevin will always be a major part of Riverdale, and we’re overjoyed, honored and humbled by the response to this issue,” he said. “Our fans have come out full force to support Kevin. He is, without a doubt, the most important new character in Archie history. He’s here to stay.”
Keller, introduced in 2010, starred in a soldout miniseries in 2011. He’s also the subject of his own brand new comic series, which tracks his teenage years as an openly gay high school student.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day