- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Screenwriter John August (Big Fish) signed a three-book deal for a children’s fantasy series with Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group imprint Roaring Book Press for what will be his children’s literature debut.
The first book in the trilogy, Arlo Finch in the Valley of Fire, will follow Arlo Finch, a young boy who learns to control the powerful and mysterious magic of the forest along with other campers in his scout troop he joins. Arlo must navigate the perils and adventures of the wild as he becomes aware of his own unique destiny.
John August has penned the scripts for such films as Big Fish, adapted from the novel by Daniel Wallace, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, sourced from Roald Dahl’s 1964 novel of the same name. Both films were considered critical and commercial successes, grossing a combined $597 million.
August is also known for the weekly podcast Scriptnotes, which he hosts with fellow screenwriter Craig Mazin.
Publication of the first book is scheduled for early 2018. Jodi Reamer of Writers House represented.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day