- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
I will not vote for the man in the red tie
I will not vote for the woman in the blue pant suit
I will not eat green eggs and ham.
But I will run for president.
The Cat in the Hat announced today that he is running for president as the one and only “Kids’ Candidate.” and he named Thing 1 and Thing 2 as his running mates. The Cat in the Hat kicked off his campaign with an announcement in front of the Springfield, Massachusetts, home of his late creator, Dr. Seuss (aka Theodore Geisel).
The Cat in the Hat is running to “represent all that Dr. Seuss believed about children — that they have the intellect, imagination and power to impact our world positively, while also having fun,” said a statement from publisher Random House Children’s Books. The statement also cited Dr. Seuss’ words: “A person’s a person, no matter how small” (Horton Hears a Who!); “You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose” (Oh, the Places You’ll Go!); “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not” (The Lorax); and “I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, But down here at the bottom, we, too, should have rights” (Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories).
The news just happens to coincide with the July 26 release of One Vote, Two Votes, I Vote, You Vote a new book starring the Cat in the Hat to teach young children about democracy and voting. As part of the launch, Random House Children’s Books and Dr. Seuss Enterprises are holding an election for young readers to vote for a charity/favorite character:
• Vote for Reading and Education to support First Book, with Dick and Sally from The Cat in the Hat!
• Vote for Ocean Conservation to support Oceana, with Red Fish and Blue Fish from One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish!
• Vote for the Environment to support Conservation International, with the Lorax!
• Vote for Fighting Hunger to support Feed the Children, with Sam-I-Am! from Green Eggs and Ham!
• Vote for Kindness for All to support PACER Center, with Horton from Horton Hears a Who!
The winning cause/character will get a $10,000 donation. Voting starts July 26 and can be done here. It ends Nov. 8. Winners will be announced in December.
The race between Clinton and Trump maybe a toss-up, but it’s not hard to predict how the residents of Whoville are going to vote.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day